This page lists frequently asked questions about the Bharatmedia Foundation. If you do not find your question answered here or there, please feel free to contact us.
What is Bharatpedia?
Bharatpedia is an online collection of knowledge. Volunteer editors from around the world write Bharatpedia. It is a collaborative creation created in 2020: anyone can edit it, at any time. Editors collaborate to write about virtually any topic, from ancient history to science to the arts. Bharatpedia is available in five languages and has over .2 million articles. Bharatpedia is completely non-profit, independent, and maintained by everyday people like you. You do not require approval or special qualifications to edit.
How does Bharatpedia stay reliable and neutral?
Bharatpedia’s volunteer editors make reference to reliable publications that support what Bharatpedia contains, so readers can verify the facts at source. For content to remain on Bharatpedia, it must be written from a neutral point of view and attributed to sources that are reliable. Editors also use mechanisms like bots and monitoring tools to regularly review edits made to Bharatpedia. Through these efforts, Bharatpedia stays reliable and neutral. Bharatpedia is based on an open model, so its content is constantly evolving, growing, and improving over time. You can also follow the discussions that go into changes. Unfortunately, vandalism of Bharatpedia articles does occasionally occur. However, the vast majority of editors contribute in good faith. Most vandalism on the site is removed quickly, often within seconds.
What is the Bharatmedia Foundation?
The Bharatmedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that supports Bharatpedia, the other Bharatmedia free knowledge websites, and its mission of free knowledge for all. We do this by keeping the Bharatmedia sites fast, secure, and available to all, defending Bharatpedia and our volunteer editors from legal threats, building new features and tools to make it easy to read, edit, and share knowledge from Bharatmedia sites, and by supporting the communities of editors who contribute to Bharatpedia and the Bharatmedia sites. We also help bring new knowledge online, lower barriers to access, and make it easier for everyone to share what they know.
What are the other Bharatmedia free knowledge projects you support?
In addition to Bharatpedia, the Bharatmedia Foundation supports a number of free knowledge projects, including:
- Bharatdata – a collaborative, multilingual structured database that powers information used across Bharatmedia projects
- Hindi Bharatpedia – Bharatpedia in the Hindi language
- Punjabi Bharatpedia – Bharatpedia in the Punjabi language
- Meitei Bharatpedia – Bharatpedia in the Mietie (Manipuri) language
- Bengali Bharatpedia – Bharatpedia in the Bangali language
- Tamil Bharatpedia – Bharatpedia in the Tamil language
- Bhojpuri Bharatpedia – Bharatpedia in the Bhojpuri language
- Hinglish Bharatpedia – Bharatpedia in the Hinglish
- Bharatmedia Commons – a freely-licensed repository of images, video, and media files
- Bharattionary – a free, multilingual dictionary
- Bharatquote – a resource of quotations from notable people and creative works
- Bharatbooks – a collection of books that includes annotated texts, instructional guides, textbooks, and more
- Bharatsource – a collection of primary source materials, as well as translations of source texts
- Bharatspecies – a species directory, which covers Animalia, Plantae, Fungi, Bacteria, Archaea, Protista and other forms of life
- Bharatnews – a collaborative news resource, where anyone can contribute reports about events around the world
- Bharatversity – an educational repository devoted to learning resources, learning projects, and research for use in all levels of education
- Bharatvoyage – a travel information guide for locations around the world
Is Bharatpedia, or the Bharatmedia Foundation, affiliated with Wikimedia Foundation?
Bharatpedia and the Bharatmedia Foundation have no affiliation with Wikimedia Foundation. Although both use the term “pedia” in their name, they have always been completely separate and unaffiliated projects.
How is the Bharatmedia Foundation funded?
The Bharatmedia Foundation is funded primarily through donations from individuals around the world and we are grateful that so many people find value in Bharatpedia and want to sustain its future.
See Ways to Give for details on how to make a donation via credit or debit card, PayPal, Paytm and several other methods. If you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
Why should I donate and where does my money go? Bharatpedia has become a trusted source of information that thousands of people rely on every day and the only major website in India run by a nonprofit organization, the Bharatmedia Foundation.
Unlike other top websites, Bharatpedia is not funded through advertising, nor does it rely on selling data about users for profit. Instead, Bharatpedia is supported by its readers – people who find value in Bharatpedia and want to continue to support its success, with the average donation being about ₹100 INR. This financial model enables Bharatpedia to remain neutral, trusted, and free from commercial interests.
Here are just some of the ways we use donations to sustain Bharatpedia and free knowledge:
- Providing top-notch technical infrastructure for a global website – To meet the needs of Bharatpedia readers around the world, we operate an international technology infrastructure comparable to the world’s largest commercial websites. This includes hosting costs like keeping our servers running, as well as significant, ongoing engineering work to make sure Bharatpedia is reliable, secure, loads quickly, and protects your privacy.
- Ensuring you can access Bharatpedia in every language on every device – Donations also allow us to dedicate engineering resources to ensure that you can access Bharatpedia in your preferred language, on your preferred device, no matter where you are in the world — from a dial-up modem to a brand new smartphone. Bharatpedia supports roughly 5 languages, a number that grows every year.
- Supporting community-led projects to increase access to trusted information – We collaborate with Bharatpedia volunteers around the globe to support their ideas and help them bring more free knowledge to the world. Every year, about 10% of our budget is specifically dedicated to supporting community projects that enrich, grow, and improve knowledge on Bharatpedia.
- Defending and protecting free knowledge around the world – The Bharatmedia Foundation’s policy and legal efforts help ensure that everyone has the right to access, share, and create knowledge, while defending our volunteers from the threat of reprisal and upholding our commitment to free expression and open knowledge. We also fight against censorship and protect the right of everyone to speak and learn freely. Support for this work is vital to giving users everywhere equal access to Bharatmedia projects.
How can I donate?
There are several ways you can donate to the Bharatmedia Foundation to support Bharatpedia and free knowledge. The most common are using any major credit or debit card (VISA, Mastercard, Discover or American Express), using PayPal, via bank transfer, and via Paycontacttm. For other ways to contribute, please visit our Ways to Give page. Many currencies are accepted.
We are committed to protecting the privacy rights of our supporters and will never sell, trade, or rent your nonpublic personal information.
What is your refund policy?
If for any reason you wish to have your donation refunded, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Full name of the donor
- Date of donation — All refund requests must be made within 7 days of donation
- Amount donated
- Payment method used — Do not include credit card numbers in your email
- Country of origin
- Reason for the refund
All refunds will be processed as quickly as possible, but processing times may vary depending on the payment method. Please note: Some payment methods may not support refunds or require refunds to be made through the payment method (card) utilized, prompting additional information to process your refund.
Donation banners are designed to show to donors that have enabled cookies on their browser, and to hide after the banner is shown a few times or after a donation. Hiding, however, depends upon a cookie that we insert in the browser. Banner hiding won’t work if you clear your browser’s cache, delete cookies, or change browsers or computers.
There are several options available to you to hide the fundraising banners in the future:
- If you click the X or Close button on a banner, it will hide for one week. Please note this behaviour does not apply to the first banner you see, but every banner thereafter.
- If you return to the ‘Thank You’ page it will give the cookie a chance to reinsert. If you read Bharatpedia on multiple devices, please visit this page on each of them to suppress the banners.
- You can also create an account on Bharatpedia – banners are not typically shown to users who log-in to Bharatpedia accounts. More information on creating an account can be found here.
Why have I received a fundraising email even though I have already donated recently?
If you have received a fundraising email even though you donated recently, this generally is for one of several reasons:
- We have more than one email address for you in our records;
- You donated within a day before our emails were sent: the scan we use to filter out recent donors is unable to catch donations made the day before the email send;
- You donated by either a method that is slower to reach our system, like a check or a bank transfer, or a method that we receive in aggregate (without your email address), like PayPal Giving Fund, Amazon Smile, or Humble Bundle.
If you would like to unsubscribe an email address, you can click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the fundraising email, or send an unsubscribe request to email@example.com. We generally send fundraising emails around a year after your most recent donation. We send a very low number of emails to donors, relative to other nonprofit organizations. If you donate in response to a fundraising email, we will not send you donation request emails again until around the same time the next year.
Why are there no ads on Bharatpedia?
We are not considering advertising as a source of revenue. We do not believe that advertising belongs in a project devoted to free, reliable, and neutral knowledge. Introducing commercial interests could jeopardize Bharatpedia’s reliability as a neutral source of information.
We are not against online advertising, nor are we against other organizations that host ads. We just know ads are not appropriate in a project devoted to education and knowledge – and especially one that strives for balance and neutrality.
What are the plans for Bharatmedia’s future? Where are you going?
At the beginning of 2021, the Bharatmedia Foundation launched a discussion to define the future of Bharatpedia and the Bharatmedia movement by the year 2030. Throughout the process, we asked ourselves questions like, where might we want Bharatpedia, and the Bharatmedia movement, to go next? What opportunities and challenges lie ahead of us? What trends in technology, education, information, and access will shape our future?
Based on this discussion and our research, we are uniting around a direction that will help us build a more sustainable, resilient, and engaged movement that anyone who shares our vision can join. We will adapt to the shifting trends in technology, to ensure we meet the needs of our users and continue to provide reliable, transparent, and neutral information. We will invite new voices to join us and ensure that anyone who wants to share knowledge on Bharatpedia and the Bharatmedia sites can do so. And we will advocate for the policies and values that have allowed Bharatpedia and its sister sites to thrive. This direction asks us to be bold and experiment in the future, as we did in the past, and it remains rooted in our mission of free knowledge for all.
How can I participate in Bharatmedia?
Firstly, thank you for your interest in supporting Bharatpedia! We understand that not everyone will be able to donate, and that’s okay. Bharatpedia will always be free for everyone, and there are several ways that you can contribute to Bharatpedia beyond making a donation.
- You can read and use Bharatpedia as your source of trustworthy information across all languages.
- You can make an edit on Bharatpedia – if you want to fix a mistake on an article or add a citation to a trusted source, please do so! This guide is helpful for getting started on your first edit.
- Are you a photographer? Consider sharing your photos for anyone to reuse on Bharatmedia Commons, which powers many of the images you see on Bharatpedia articles.
- You can follow Bharatpedia and Bharatmedia on social media and share stories that are meaningful to you. Check out @en_Bharatmedia on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
How can I contact the Bharatmedia Foundation?
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to email at firstname.lastname@example.org